Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Bisque firing was a success!

I'm very happy to announce that the first firing of my ceramics pieces was a success ... other than the pieces I smashed before even getting to the kiln!!  There are some hair line cracks in the cake stand but being so fine, they will hopefully fill with glaze.  We are also wondering if these cracks have appeared because it was at the top of the kiln and therefore cooled quicker than the pieces that are deep in the kiln.  I suppose we'll find out when we do some more!

Now I just have to decide on how to finish all the pieces .... what glazes to use ... what effects ...

Just found a great blog from a ceramic artist in Adelaide that uses some gorgeous retro designs and some interesting glazing techniques ... I'm no where near their level but the posts are very interesting ... wondering if they have ever tried house paint like some ceramics artists did in Australia in the 50s ...

http://retroceramicdesign.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment