Sunday, January 16, 2011

The ArtyFarty, Soulful Sian Adnam

There’s a third artist involved in Art-Is-Tree, Sian Adnam.  Sian has a career as an artist, and art and design educator that spans over 30 years.  Melbourne born and bred, she and her family moved to Phillip Island in 2000, where she now is the owner and resident artist of Arty Farty Sculpture and Ceramics Studio at Cape Woolamai.  She offers classes in painting, sculpture, mixed media, mosaics and hand-built ceramics, and with the additional bonus of the accommodation she has attached, even offers the option of a weekend away with a private workshop … if you book of course.

 
I’ve actually only had the pleasure of meeting Sian only once so far, early last year, when Angie took me to meet her.  We chatted for a while over drinks and then she gave us a tour of the studio.  I must admit I got quite excited, because as I’ve said in my blog before, I enjoyed pottery as a child … and this was before my more recent efforts … and her studio is very well set up and scattered with examples of her work.  Her work is perfectly suited to the exhibition theme of Art-Is-Tree with her works being inspired by the environment around her. 


Ocean Road

Her pieces (well what I saw of them) include ceramics, mosaics, mixed media and found objects.  I truly loved them, and I have to admit I may have to take her up on the workshop she offered at the time … I could learn a lot from her … plus it’s location, location, location … in it’s own relaxed island life way, with it’s close proximity to the ocean. 
One of the things that really made an impression on me was Sian’s zest for life, and how much she packs into her life.  Not only is she an art educator at a local college as well as in her own studio, an exhibiting and commissioning artist, she’s also one half of a dynamic duo (with festival co-director Maria Reed who is also a photographer and publisher of Coast Magazine) who run Phillip Island’s Art and Soul Festival which is about to have it’s fifth innings.

Catering for all ages, this event will this year move to larger premises to the 82-acre property of Newhaven College, which has views over Western Port Bay.  The festival features over 50 art stalls as well as Rhythm, Soul and Blues music, workshops, children’s entertainment, and local produce to sample.  This year it will also feature a live chainsaw sculpting display by Angela Polglaze and some friends.
Yes, it’s all connected … like branches on a tree … Art-Is-Tree and the Art and Soul Festival … like life really … and art is the tree of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment